Formal introduction

To: Mr. Brad Blackstone
From: Nur Zakiyah
Subject: Self Introduction

Dear Brad,

Greetings. I am Nur Zakiyah Bte Abdullah Bari and I am writing to give a brief introduction on myself. Two years ago, I graduated from Temasek Polytechnic with a Diploma in Hospitality and Tourism Management. After studying and knowing more about the industry, I developed a deep interest in the Hospitality and Tourism Industry. With the right knowledge and skills acquired, I decided to further my education in Singapore Institute of Technology through the Hospitality Business degree programme.

During the course of my studies in Temasek Polytechnic, I had the opportunity to work at Crowne Plaza Changi Airport in the Concierge and Housekeeping Department for my internship. The internship experience has allowed me to develop a greater insight of the industry and how different departments of a hotel work hand in hand to provide excellent customer service and ensure smooth operations. Right after my internship, I decided to work at the Club Lounge as a Guest Relations Officer to widen my skills and knowledge. A take away from the experience would be how having great interpersonal skills is important to enhance the work synergy between the staff members.

In my perspective, I feel that being a good listener is one of my strengths. For instance, my friends would always approach me for advice and when they need a listening ear. However, at the same time, my weakness would be how I am rather bad in expressing my thoughts and feelings to others. I have been trying to work on my weakness by opening up to others in order to turn my weakness into my strength.

Through this module, I hope to learn the ways to improve on my communication skills and effectively communicate with others in order to benefit me in the near future. Additionally, I would also like to learn more about the different types of communication styles and use them accordingly. I feel that everyone has their own unique and preferred way of communicating. For example, I am someone who values facial expressions and therefore, I would tend to interpret others’ emotions through their facial expressions.

When working in the service industry, adapting to the different communication styles is especially important as it would affect guests’ service experience during their stay in the hotel. Therefore, it is important for me to learn the tips and tricks on how to communicate effectively  in order to be prepared when I step into the real working world in the future.

Do share with me on your preferred way of communicating!
Thank You!

Warm regards,
Nur Zakiyah

Comments

  1. Hi Zakiyah. I completely agree with the fact that working in the service industry requires us to adapt to different communication styles. Some customers would happily engage in a conversation while others just want to get on with their day. Honestly, I think it boils down to the varying expectations of each customer. I also realised that some interactions are more impactful than others. Perhaps the chemistry that two people share is a strong factor. Anyway, I hope you will be able to achieve your goal for this module and apply it in your day to day interactions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Zakiyah,

    What a coincidence as I worked in Changi Airport back in 2015 too. I definitely agree that interpersonal skills are very important, especially in our industry. I hope you are able to achieve your goals for this module. I look forward to learning more about you in the upcoming weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Zakiyah,

    Thank you so much for sharing more about yourself. I can feel your strong passion for the hospitality industry and I am glad that you continued the journey till today. I can agree that the different communication styles are very important especially in the service industry where we need to adapt to different guests. I hope I can learn that in this module too. I look forward to see you in class!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Zakiyah,

    I enjoyed reading your self introduction. I am glad you enjoyed your internship and learnt a lot along the way. Although I did not intern at the same place as you, I had similar learning points as you. I agree that interpersonal skills are very crucial as having good interpersonal skills will enable you to establish good relationship with your colleagues. I think that adapting different communication style is not only important towards guest. It also applies to many different area such as working in projects as well as with your colleagues. All in all, I feel that you will be able to get along with people easily with your outgoing personality :)

    Have a good day ahead!

    Best regards,
    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Zakiyah,

    Thank you for this well crafted letter. You have responded well to the scope of the assignment. I appreciate the fine detail of your description for the various sections and the good fluency throughout. You make a clear statement about your interest in hospitality, your rich work experience, and your strength and weakness in communicating and your goals. I like the way you support your main point with concrete illustrations. We really learn something about you here.

    What I have a question about is when you state that 'by opening up to others' you might turn your weakness into a strength. Does that mean that expressing oneself to others is as simple as revealing more about one's feelings?

    For language use, here are a few more thoughts:
    1. overuse of caps
    -- with a Diploma in Hospitality and Tourism Management.
    -- a deep interest in the Hospitality and Tourism Industry.
    -- Hospitality Business degree
    -- a Guest Relations Officer

    2. sentence structure
    -- For example, I am someone who values facial expressions and therefore, I would tend to interpret others’ emotions through their facial expressions. > For example, I am someone who values facial expressions. Therefore, I would tend to interpret others’ emotions through their facial expressions.
    -- When working in the service industry, adapting to the different communication styles is especially important.... > (Who is working in the industry?)
    When working in the service industry, a person is required to adapt to the different communication styles.

    3. name accuracy
    -- Dear Mr. Bradstone > ?

    I look forward to learning more about you, and from you, this term.

    Best wishes,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts